What I'm Backing on Kickstarter:

What I'm Backing on Kickstarter:
After Winter Dark Campaign Setting

Monday, January 28, 2013

Codex Celtarum Kickstarter Revisited

Earlier today I wrote a piece about Kickstarters and the recent Razor Coast book that Frog God Games was putting out.  If you are just stumbling upon this post and don't know what I'm talking about, you can check it out HERE.  Bottom line... while I thought the project looked excellent, I couldn't justify price for content and the use given what I already have.  I've talked about various Kickstarter projects before and I know that some people tire of hearing about them and one which caught my eye but also couldn't justify was Troll Lord Games' new Codex Celtarum.  I felt that their pricing was also a bit off:  A book with an estimated MSRP would cost you $40 if you wanted a physical copy plus shipping outside the US.  For me, it meant a book costing me twice the cover price since I'm in Canada.  A few of my readers agreed with my assessment (the original post is HERE) but, unsurprisingly, the project is successfully funded and is now in the process of doing stretch goals these last 5 days or so of the Kickstarter.

Well, because of the stretch goals, there is at least a bit more bang for your buck.

For the most part, anyone living outside the US would need to shell out a bit more money to make this Kickstarter worthwhile and that's assuming it hits the final stretch goal listed.

For someone in my position (that is to say... not in the US), the best bang for the buck starts at $100 and only because upon reaching $8000, backers at this level get:

  • A collector's edition / leather cover copy of the Codex Celtarum ($8000 Stretch)
  • A regular hardcover copy of the Codex Celtarum
  • A copy of the Castle Keeper's Guide
  • An exclusive themed module
  • An additional hardcover of your choice ($8000 Stretch)
  • Two additional modules / supplements ($6000 Stretch)
  • A Tee-Shirt

Of course, shipping to Canada is an additional $24 or a staggering $42 outside North America.  However, if you do the math and consider the collector's edition of the book to be worth the same as the regular version, the two copies of the codex and the CKG alone comes to very close to $100 and there is at least another $50 worth of stuff beyond that which means that you are at least offsetting shipping if not coming a bit ahead.

There are still only a couple things to overcome here though.

1) You're spending over $100 to get a reasonable deal.
2) I own most of the TLG line to begin with so do I really want to spend money on material I already own beyond the Codex?

If you were on the fence, and have some extra money to kick around and have a group who is interested or plays C&C, check out the Kickstarter (HERE) and look at some of the other packages starting at the $100 level, it might be a way to outfit a gaming group out.

M

No comments:

Post a Comment