What I'm Backing on Kickstarter:

What I'm Backing on Kickstarter:
After Winter Dark Campaign Setting

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Slowly...

Things are very slowly coming together with the new system.

The hardware seems to be solid though part of me regrets an 'onboard' solution for my computer's sound.  Windows 7 (I've got 64 bit Home Premium flavor) is taking me a bit longer to get used to and one of the scanning features from my network printer doesn't seem to want to talk to the computer -- despite the updated 64 bit drivers to permit me to do so.  But hey... it's a printer and it printers just fine.  Thankfully, the printer also has a USB port so if I'm eager to scan a stack of documents to PDF, I can do it by loading it on to a flash drive.  A simple work around though I would prefer things to be one step closer.  ;)

The OS itself is taking some getting used to.  It's weird to say but Windows 7 (I skipped the whole Vista thing) seemed so counter-intuitive for me.  Many people rave about the new version and some of those people are not computer-literate.  Maybe that's the problem.  I am so used to doing thing the 'old way' that I spent the first few hours cursing up a storm as I faced the surprises and horrors that Windows 7 had in store for me.

It's been a work in progress though one piece of software installation later forced me to resort to a System Restore Point as it inexplicably screwed my network settings to a point they couldn't just be 'undone' or reset to default.  Sort of a one step forward to steps back I guess.  ;)

That said, I have a lot to be thankful for and I am eager to do some proper work on this rig in the coming days ahead.

The dungeons and perils of editing await me!

Until such time I have something a bit more worthwhile to post (probably another few days), I will throw up a couple older reviews I had written up.  Re-reading some of the material has me thinking that I really want to write a few more for the blog...  Some new stuff naturally as well as some old classics that keep on getting mentioned.

Thanks for reading!

M

No comments:

Post a Comment