What I'm Backing on Kickstarter:

What I'm Backing on Kickstarter:
After Winter Dark Campaign Setting

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Arcana Creations Gets An Upgrade!

In the past few months, the sorry state and age of my computer hardware and peripherals was becoming all too apparent. The computer itself has a small degree of hardware failure impacting its performance and the work I do with random and sudden system reboots, program and system crashes, and I've suffered more instances of the blue screen of death in the past year than the previous decade with incarnations of Windows prior to XP.

Scanner was also well past its prime but all the hardware I've had gave me a few good years. For those who don't really know me, when I get a computer system, I tend to put the money to stretch the lifespan in terms of usability and usually a system replacement is necessitated by a lot of rigorous use and bits of hardware 'giving up'. Actually my last system died a bit prematurely which necessitated the use of my writing laptop for a few months till I could get a new one.

This time, it was me being at the end of my rope in terms of sheer frustration that pushed me to invest into something new which Arcana Creations would benefit from. Initially I was hoping to last till the Fall but, as crashes were becoming more frequent, I had to push ahead and get one with the aid of credit (paid over 36 months). Well, I just received notification that it has been shipped via Purolator and I should be receiving it any day now.

This bad boy features:
  • Intel I7-920 chipset (Quad Core @ 2.66 Ghz)
  • 12 GB of DDR3 SDRAM
  • 1 TB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive (1 TB = 1000 GB approx.)
  • Nvidia Geforce GTS 240 (nothing fancy here but functional for work. It has 1 GB of Ram on card)
  • Dual Optical Drives (one Blueray one regular DVD ... both with burn capability)
Along with this, I got myself a new scanner which happened to be on sale ($100 instead of $150) and a monochrome laser printer with duplex capabilities that also has scan / fax functions with it. To be fair, these peripherals were made possible thanks for my supportive family who sees the potential in the work and projects I've been pursuing.

I'll be plenty happy to receive my rig and thanks to a large and handy portable harddrive... I'll be able to easily dump the contents of my old computer onto the new one. I don't think there will too much of a 'honeymoon phase' with the new system as I really need to push through with some work in the coming days and weeks ahead.

All of this is encouraging though.

M

1 comment: